Drugs are at the usage peak for many Americans. Risks of drugs today are enormous.How do individuals do taking so many pills? According to Consumer Reports not so good as it looks on TV. Here happy husbands and wives smile at each other and turn to one direction. It seems that their meds will solve all problems. Vitality returns, breathing problems, anxiety disappears. Is it true?
- Half of Americans take a prescription medication consistently.
- Today Americans take more drugs as they did before.
- Many of that drugs are life saving and well-being improving.
- Side effects of drugs sent 1.3 million of people to emergency rooms
- About of 124 000 people died from these cases.
- Studies show that half of these cases were preventable.
- Drugs cost a lot forcing people to skip or delay other bills.
- The USA spends a nice $200 billion per year on medication which is unnecessary and does not serve the purpose.
Why Do Individuals Require So Many Meds?
There is the perfect answer is from Consumer Reports cover story. Vineyards Prasad, M.D., an assistant professor of medicine at Oregon Health& Science a University, explained that people did not invent idea about the need of drug for every hint of disease. “They were spoon-fed that notion by the culture that we’re steeped in.”
- 55 percent of Americans constantly take prescription medication. The average of pills is four.
- 75 percent of individuals receive at least one over the counter drug. Constantly.
Advertisement and advice from health practitioners make enormous impact to patients
Consumer Reports described the case when one man got testosterone drug. This individual did not know about heart and strokes risks if somebody takes this medication. After four days taking a drug, he suffered a stroke. Nobody told that there could be consequences and side effects of this drug.
The winning name “Low T.” was appealing to men’s who with age or other issues had lower libido and performance. Who does not want to take a sip from the fountain youth?
Drug companies spent on marketing $24 billion on 2012. This marketing for drugs is through ads in medical journals, promotional and educational events, face to face sales.
Risks of Drugs
There are plenty of side effects from drugs. If you would like to find out about harmful consequences, the information is given on TV and in the big paper sheet in a small printing. You will be astonished how many problems you can have.
- For example, people who take Xanax, are depressed and even suicidal. No fun, yes?
- Drugs become dangerous when health providers poorly communicate with each other.
- The combination of different drugs can trigger reactions in a body.
- Drugs prescribed for pre-disease diagnoses can be avoided because there is no disease but people suffer from side effects of the drug.
- Seniors are sensitive to drugs more compare with the middle age of individuals.
How to Avoid Harms from Drugs?
Consumer Reports advice to get organized. Pill daily organizers, tracking your pills, having information of pharmacy, prescribing physician, how and when taking pills will help know about meds.
- Check your drugs with a doctor and ask about safe elimination.
- Pill tracking apps remind when to take pills when to refill. Medisafe app can check for drug interactions.
- Subscribe for Consumer Reports. It is from a light side, but this organization works for customers independently, without contributions, donors money or bribes.
- Lead the healthy lifestyle, such as the right nutrition, exercises, and supplements.
Find a Doctor Who Listens to You
There are physicians who care about the health of their patients and want that they would lead happy lives. More and more doctors decide to turn to another direction: de-prescribe drugs.
There are groups and organizations which support this de-prescribing trend. Choosing Wisely with the partner Consumer Reports have made recommendations how to escape the use of unneeded drugs.
American College of Physicians advises doctors to use nondrug ways first for some conditions.
Dr.J.Mercola, Dr. Oz, Dr. Carolyn Dean M.D., N.D. are front runners in a health front. Dr. Carolyn Dean created Total Body ReSet bundle which makes healthy people more healthy. Her book The Magnesium Miracle is an eye opener and outstanding source of information.
If you have questions and thoughts regarding this topic, please leave a comment below. I would be happy to hear from you.